Why Killing 99.9% is Bad for your Home's Microbiome

30th Oct 2023

While the claim of killing 99.9% of bacteria is often used in marketing for cleaning and hygiene products, it’s important to note that not all bacteria are harmful. In fact, many bacteria are beneficial and essential for various ecological and biological processes. Here are a few reasons why the pursuit of eliminating 99.9% of bacteria in your home may have downsides:

Microbial Diversity 
Bacteria play a crucial role in maintaining microbial diversity. Different species of bacteria have distinct functions, and a diverse microbial community is often associated with a healthier environment.

Microbial Imbalance
Random killing of bacteria can disrupt the balance of microbial communities. Some bacteria are beneficial and contribute to processes like nutrient cycling, decomposition, and even supporting the human microbiome.

Resilience and Resistance Overuse of antimicrobial agents can lead to the development of resistant strains of bacteria. This can have implications for public health, as the effectiveness of antibiotics and other treatments may become compromised. 

Impact on the Environment
The chemicals used in cleaning products to kill bacteria typically have environmental implications. When these substances are washed down drains, they can end up in waterways and ecosystems, potentially harming aquatic life and further polluting our water.

Human Microbiome
The human body is host to trillions of microorganisms, collectively known as the microbiome. These microbes, including bacteria (good and bad), play a crucial role in digestion, immune function, and overall health. Excessive use of antibacterial products can disrupt the balance of the human microbiome.

Hygiene Hypothesis
The hygiene hypothesis suggests that exposure to some level of bacteria and other microbes is necessary for the development of a healthy immune system, especially in children. Too much emphasis on sterility may contribute to an increased risk of allergies and autoimmune diseases.

Impact on Beneficial Organisms
Bacteria are not the only microorganisms affected by antibacterial agents. Other beneficial microorganism, such as certain fungi, may also be harmed, disrupting ecosystems and natural processes.

Effectiveness Concerns
The claim that killing 99.9% of bacteria doesn’t necessarily mean that the remaining 0.1% is harmful. It might include bacteria that are not harmful or are even beneficial.

When proper hygiene practices and cleanliness are essential for preventing the spread of harmful pathogens, a balanced approach that recognizes the importance of certain bacteria is crucial. Using antimicrobial products judiciously, focusing on targeted cleaning when necessary and promoting overall environmental and human health are key considerations. Cheers to a cleaner clean!


Scroll to top